Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pandora's "Music Genome Project"

I will admit that sometimes I jump on certain technologies quick, but more often, I drag my feet because I just do not know what to do with it.  For example, I do not own an iPod and I do not sync my MP3s with my phone.

The website and company called Pandora (www.pandora.com) has about 25 musicians rate music on up to 400 characteristics.  Then, depending on what a user asks to listen to (IE Elton John), Pandora will recommend music that is similar to what you are listening to.  Similar to TIVO, if you give certain songs a thumbs up or down, it will tweak your own preferences and suggest music according to what it "learns" by your ratings.

The best part is it is free for the users.  They make their money off of advertisements and their commission on iTunes and Amazon MP3 sales.  They pay the recording artists and labels about $0.02 per hour to play their music for the users.

I have not joined for probably a variety of reasons including:

  • Yet another user ID and password to remember
  • Most of the time, I concentrate better and can get more accomplished in a music-free environment
  • Most of the time, I have a ton of stuff to do
  • I have not even checked to see if my phone can stream it
Well...maybe sometime later...  Maybe it will help me "broaden" my music tastes.

Remember that you can support me by buying your MP3s through Amazon.  Click here to: search Amazon.com for mp3 downloads or click on the Amazon Searchbox on the right side of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment